Friday, February 24, 2012

The Power of Story in Fifteen Minutes

The animated short film “The Fantastic Flying Books of Morris Lessmore” is a delight to watch and deserves its Oscar nod as one of this year's animated short films. The film's creators call it "an allegory about the curative powers of books." I call it enchanting, inspiring, creatively brilliant.

The story follows the adventures of a simple man swept away to a magical land where books are more than old tomes on a shelf. It’s a charming little film and surprisingly touching. It left me a little bit breathless, a little bit sad, and whole lot happy.

Breathless, because of the beauty and simplicity of the story.

Sad, because stories end.

Happy, because I think I’ve found the same magical kingdom that Morris stumbles into. If you’re a reader, you’ll understand this with your heart. If you’re a writer, you’ll understand this with your soul.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely, Susan. I hadn't quite realised what this was when others began linking to it, so thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was happy to see that is won an Oscar last night for Best Short Animation. It's well-deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great! I saw the very brief clip of this on the Oscars and was wondering where I'd be able to find it because neither netflix or redbox (despite their advantages) handle these much smaller productions. Thanks for posting it!

    ReplyDelete