Wednesday, December 30, 2009

A Hard Year

So the year has come to an end. I remember when it started. I remember telling Rachel and Claire that 2009 would be a great year. Then came the illnesses, there was always someone in the house who was sick –flu, cold, etc. Then my DH got laid off for a time, putting us thousands of dollars in the hole. Recover from that and my dad dies unexpectedly. Not good. Not easy, either.

I’ve capped this year off by falling and breaking my wrist. Never mind all the things that happened to my good friends. LOL. Had I seen what was in store for me in 2009 would I have been so optimistic?

I can’t be so sure. I still have a roof over my head. I have good friends, a lovely and loving family. 2009 saw the birth and completion of my second novel, a story that I love and am very proud of. In 2009 I took the plunge and hooked up with an agent that I am very excited to work with. So conversely, if my future self told me, “hey, Kristen, you’ll soon get to work with your number one pick agent”, what would I have thought of 2009 then?

This is why I can’t call 2009 a “bad” year, but a hard year, and why I’ve decided not to make too much of New Years and the grand sweeping resolutions that usually go with it.

The past is a memory, the future a dream. The present is where I live and breath.

As a writer it is so easy to get swept up in dreams, build sandcastles in my mind. And miss my whole life in the process. Living in the now, taking every day as it comes without immense expectations, or thoughts of self-pity, suddenly seems a whole lot healthier and an easier dogma to live by.

So today, when 2009 is taking its last yawns, climbing into bed to curl up for that final sleep, I’m thinking about the things I have. As for this blog, I am grateful for the friendship I have with the beautiful, wonderful, talented women who inhabit this space with me. They are my partners in crime, and a huge part of me being the writer I am today.

I love you, ladies. Yesterday, today, and tomorrow.

As for you, dear reader, take time to enjoy the now. Breathe, and be happy that you are here.

6 comments:

  1. It has certainly been one hell of a year for all four of us :) I'm grateful for all three of you, too- and for all the people who've supported us by reading this blog!

    I just can't get over the fact that this decade is over tonight- I'm sure everyone remembers the end of the last decade, what with all the Y2K phobia. I had no idea what the noughties were going to bring, but boy- I kind of hope the next decade slows down a little. I graduated from university, entered the workforce, got engaged, got married, bought a house, had a baby, finished the first draft of a novel, travelled overseas three times, moved house six, and visited six of eight Australian states/ territories. Now I have all the big life milestones out of the way I think the next decade's going to be a little calmer!

    Gosh, time flies, doesn't it? Reminds you to pay attention to the things that matter most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen on the hard year definition. Middling tough decade, even. I'm attempting to keep in mind that troubles help one learn to appreciate the good times.

    Best to all!
    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristen - I have to agree with you on the "hard year" thing. I can't wish 2009 away completely, there's been some good stuff in there along with the bad, but I'm hoping that next year will be a little less stressful!

    Claire - my goodness, you have had a busy decade! And yes, it doesn't seem like that long ago that we counted in Y2K. I spent that NYE with family. At midnight, we said happy new year, followed by "Well, the electricity still works." It was a bit of a letdown after all the "END OF THE WORLD AT Y2K" hysteria *g*

    Happy New Year, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kristen,

    Though 2009 has brought some good things, I have to say I'm looking forward to the future. It's been a rough one, iow. But the thing is, I haven't been this excited for a new year in a long time. I usually kinda have the whole...oh, it's not really like starting over...just another day...mentality. This year, it _feels_ like a new beginning -- or at least that 2009 was a trial by fire, and I've come through the other end, if not better, at least intact. (g)

    Here's to a great year! I know big things are in store. :)

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, so many events! As for me, I graduated from university, entered the workforce (three times), lived and worked in Turkey for a year, got engaged, got married, bought a house, finished three novels, travelled overseas and in the States (but not much in Canada!), and... no children yet... One of the events that stands out is finding the forum and meeting all you guys! For the first time I can take those "finished" novels and maybe go somewhere with them... what an exhilirating thought!
    Here's to a great year for all of you! Hope your wrist is healing Kristen :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had a hard year indeed, Kristen. Mine was semi-hard ... about six months of holding our breath about whether or not the DH still had a job ... in an odd way, it was actually quite good to realise that the possibility of having to sell up the house, the car etc wasn't so scary (after the initial "OH CRAP", that is.) All of us being healthy and being together is all that really counts - and you can do that any old how.

    ReplyDelete